Monday, March 9, 2009

Bitter and humiliating experience with Dr Meena Thiagarajan, Apollo Hospital Chennai – 9 March 2009



She made my sick baby wait for 2 hours longer than her usual 60 mins waiting time just to spite my husband who dared ask her why she was always late.

We choose the pediatrician even before the baby was born. My husband Eric and I chatted with her and we liked her and decided that she would probably be the best for our baby. Every parent wants the best for her child. Kamala, my daughter was born 30 July 2007 and even before I saw Kamala, her doctor met her and did the round of routine checks.
Ever since then, Eric and I always visited Dr Meena for all her little illnesses, which was maybe once in 3 months. On all her visits one thing that really put us off was the 60 min to 90 min wait outside her room. Children waiting outside any doctor’s room are usually sick and Eric and I worried endlessly about Kamala getting infected or infecting other children.
Slowly our trip to the doctor became less and less exciting and we would dread going to meeting her because of the long wait, while the visit with her was itself 15 to 20 mins, the wait was really tiring the baby and us.
Kamala had a slight fever on 24th Feb night, she was fine and active on 25th and I had to leave on work to Madurai on 25th night and my mom came over to take care of Kamala while I was away. Thursday morning Kamala’s temperature was high and my mom and Eric took Kamala to the Apollo clinic. Eric really lost his temper because the baby was ill and she had to wait for an hour before the doctor saw her. She was late to the clinic by half hour, which contributed to further delay. When it was Kamala’s turn to meet Dr Meena he told her that this was not right. Having a sick baby to wait for 60 mins was really not right. Dr Meena yelled back saying that Eric could take the baby elsewhere if he did not want to wait. Our baby, all of 19 months had to witness this shouting by the doctor while she was ill and missing her mother….. but, well the doctor did not care, Kamala is supposed to be privileged to meet with such an important and busy doctor.
My mother for mortal fear of her doing some harm to the baby kept apologizing profusely. Anyways, they both came home and 2 days later, on Saturday the baby developed rashes all over her body, looked liked measles to us. My mother called Dr Meena and she was asked to administer Crocin syrup, I was returning Sunday early morning(1st Mar) from Madurai, so Sunday morning Eric and I took the baby to emergency room in Apollo Hospital Greames Rd. There the doctor looked at her called Dr Meena and had a telephone discussion. They were going to run tests and they wanted Eric to come at around noon to collect the results.
When Eric went in to collect the results, a Dr Regina was in and she called Dr Meena. Dr Meena asked Dr Regina to inform Eric that he should bring Kamala the next morning to the hospital between 9 and 10 AM. Eric cross checked this information because our belief was that she usually does her in- patient ward visits at that time. But, Dr Regina confirmed this and Dr Regina, also spoke to me on the phone to tell me that indeed Dr Meena wanted to see Kamala between 9 and 10 AM Monday.
Monday 2 March 2009 - I still shudder to think of this day even if it a week since.
Kamala was very ill and still sleeping, I dragged her out of bed carried a bottle of apple juice (this was all she was drinking) and rushed to Apollo hospital and was there at 9 AM on the dot just as Dr Meena wanted me to. But, Dr Meena Thiagarajan did not show up, her secretary kept telling me that he could not reach her.
At 10.40 AM Kamala was in tears, she was tired and wanted to sleep, my mother who is a diabetic knowing waiting for Dr Meena was always long did not take her medicines in the morning for fear of collapsing during the wait. I just realised, she has managed to terrorise my whole family.
I picked up a paper and wrote a note saying the baby is very agitated and her secretary by then asked me to go to meet her assistant Dr Jothi on the 2nd floor. I rushed from the 4th floor to the second floor to meet her and she called Dr Meena on the mobile and she did not pick up the call. At 11 AM on the dot Dr Meena came into the room I was waiting in . Exactly 2 hours after the time she gave me and her first question was “Do you want me to see the baby?” I have never felt so humiliated in my life. She wanted to show her authority and power, She wanted me to beg her to see the baby. Which I did for the sake of my baby. She was still very upset with my husband for what happened on Thursday and she said so to me “ all the babies come and wait for 1 hour what is so special about your baby that she cannot wait” I never expected to hear this from a doctor, especially a pediatrician! My baby is special, for every mother her baby is special Dr Meena just forgot that.
Her next question was “why should you keep calling me for every fever?” – I reminded her that we usually don’t like visiting her very often and we usually take care of the fever unless we think it might be some illness that we need her special training for.
She loudly exclaimed that she is always very busy, she is responsible for starting a new pediatric hospital and she does not have the time to see us. Then why on earth did she say, she wanted Kamala to come at a certain time. To make matters worse when I reminded her I came in because she wanted to see Kamala between 9 and 10 AM she simply said she never gives that time because it is her time to visit ward patients and we did not have an appointment. It slowly dawned on me that Dr Meena Thiagarajan was witch hunting us. What hurt most was that she thought it was her right to punish a 19 month sick baby because she was angry with the baby’s father.
Dr Meena Thiagarajan said” I don’t have to see your baby, I can ask you to go and see someone else”- Is this right? Can a doctor refuse to see a patient especially a sick child? Maybe it is a doctor's right to refuse to see a patient.
I don’t know… All I know is I decided to put an end to this. I had enough of Dr Meena Thiagarajan’s abuse. My baby is too precious. I have lost all trust in her. I don’t believe she cares for my baby, any more. Her heart seems so full of hatred, anger and vengeance.
I spoke to my friend Dr Manorama, Chairperson - Child Welfare Committee in Chennai, who herself is a pediatrician. She comforted me and was very shocked to hear this kind of treatment by a doctor. Her advice was that I change the pediatrician immediately. I normally speak for people's rights and I am very verbal when it comes to one's right. This time around I was too shocked, felt completely vulnerable and I am yet to recover from Dr Meena Thiagrajan's act of violence on my little girl.


18 comments:

Arun Rajangam said...

Yes we have seen some spiteful behavior from her as well and are switching pediatricians.

Magdalene said...

There are many others as well....

WanderingMist said...

I guess it is not good to be so spiteful about someone who is actually doing a great job and hardly has time for herself. Dr.MeenaT is one of the best child docs in Chennai and attends to many patients. She hardly has time to eat and shuttles between Apollo Hospitals and clinics. I am very happy with her experience, handling and expertise. Wish there were more sensible docs like her around.

Yes, I too waited for long time to get her to see my child... but I also knew that she was attending to a far serious case than mine, which cannot be addressed in few minutes. And she does spend enough time with each case. That adds upto the overall wait.

It would be nice if you could see the other side of her. Maybe yours is an one-off experience, but spite is not right. I wish your child good health.

MY COOL DUDES (SHRENIK and SHYAMAK) said...

Being one of the busiest doctors is not a blame of hers. We found her to be better than our earlier paediatrician at Annanagar. The wait is almost the same and hence we have not found any difference. You need to try out other doctors too before arriving at conclusions. Very rarely are paediatricians on time. Please try Chld trust hospital for a change. they too are good.
We felt Child trust and Dr. meena at Apollo to be good.

Magdalene said...

@Wandering - I loved her until that incident. We were seeing her for 19 months remember? The routine wait time for a pediatrician cannot be more than an hour. Putting our babies at at a risk by waiting in a room full of sick children/babies is not a great idea! It is sign of a bad doctor.

Magdalene said...

@SNDP Annanagar - I have since hunted and found a doctor we dont have to wait for that long, they tell you exactly how long you have to wait, give or take 5 to 10 mins and my daughter has a great relationship with him. I certainly dont want a doctor who is so busy that she cannot prioritise her duties!!

But I do find most doctors being extremely authoritative and over confident. Not willing to listen...

shambhu said...

trust me any good doctor there is a waiting for 1 hour given the population of india

rajani said...

We have been seeing Dr. Meena for my almost 1 year old Child. I have lot of confidence in her and trust her completely with my child. We have recently moved to Bangalore and have contacted her over phone..She was was very receptive. Dr. Meena is a capable Dr. thus she is obviously busy and long wait is part of the deal. We have to understand that all the patients who are waiting are sick, who else will wait to see the Dr. and in case our case is really and emergency I guess we need to go to the emergency section of the hospital.I have also found her to be direct and to the point and that might not be to our liking always but that's how she is..you always have an option to go and see someone else. Any day I would prefer Dr.Meena to anybody else!!

Rajani Santhosh

kamala said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dr.Meena is the best pediatricians I have ever met. Waiting time wouldnt be a issue when ur child recovers fast. So pls stop spreading such wrongful information about the best doctors we come across to others

Anonymous said...

Dr Meena remains one of my favourite paediatricians..probably the top. I blindly trusted her medical skills and she never failed us. I have lived in a few countries and I found Dr Meena's care to be world class. Docs in India have immense workload .. and i have not seen a place yet in the world where there is no waiting time at Doc's chambers.

A burst of colour said...

I find this article in really bad taste. How can you be so spiteful? All of us wait at the doctors clinic. Thats cause some other child's need is as important or more important than our's. I am pretty sure the Dr. was not partying and shopping or sitting in a spa when I am waiting for her.
Dr. Meena is a really well respected person. Not only that she has a conscience. She never prescribes antibiotics or medicines if the problems can be addressed with home remedies, doesnt give unecessary vaccinations, is extremely encouraging and pleasant. You have to know that tomorrow if some other doctor is attending to your child you're probably holding up another parent.
I am sure you've put the past behind and have moved on. But do show some grace by removing such a unnecessarily demeaning article.

Unknown said...

@nagdalene.. I agree its hard time wait for her to see your sick child. If your child is so sick to be attend in priority, you should have taken your child to emergency cabin instead of waiting for long. Consultation can be done only for sick child with vitals stable. she cant be attentive to all very sick child at out patient unit.
sometime we loose anger without conscious. Think wise before blaming someone who does their sincere service to the mankind.

Preethi E said...

Hi,
Dr.Meena is really a wonderful doctor. Ever since my baby was born in year 2010, we are showing to her. The main advantage is she never prescribes too much high dosage or antibiotics, which is actually good for health. Every where we need to wait. But that doesnot mean that she is bads. Please remove wrong comments about her.

Anonymous said...

We are urgently in need of kidney donors in Kokilaben Hospital India for the sum of $450,000,00,For more info
Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
WhatsApp +91 7795833215

Apollo Hospital said...

We are urgently in need of kidney donor in a very good health condition for the sum of $470,000,00 and we will take properly care of the donor doling the whole process, here you can contact us via email address: ahospital661@gmail.com or phone number-+919677345881 by name Dr Donald Moore.

l said...

Thanks for your valuable post, Read About Apollo Hospital Delhi NCR Chain

Apollo Cradle - Moti Nagar
Apollo Cradle Royale - Nehru Place
Apollo Spectra Hospitals - Karol Bagh
Apollo Spectra Hospitals - Kailash Colony
Apollo Hospitals - Noida
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals

ajay said...

Dr meena thiyagarajan is always gives importance to the babies and she never ever prescibes unwanted harmful medicines. one of the best world class caring paediatrician neonatalogist..